Thursday 12 January 2017

One, Two... Five!

I should really begin by apologising to my fellow contributors of the ‘VII Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge’ as I am rather stretching this topic out to a second post, but I have a few more photographs and there did seem like a justifiable break in proceedings.  So to compliment my brave Grail Knights* it seemed only fitting that they were given some mystical enlightenment to aid them on their quest.  To that end another ‘Studio Miniatures’ Medieval Mayhem character was dusted off and prepared.   Another cracking sculpt, ‘not’ Tim was a fairly straight forward paint job, with the palette lifted straight from the film, but all the while that I was painting him I was troubled by the Enchanter's immortal words, "Well, that's no ordinary rabbit, that's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!" 
*and those dastardly, taunting French!
Try as I might, I could dislodge the thought that I needed to represent the Beast of Caerbannog, but how do you create a rabbit that’s got a vicious streak a mile wide?  Fortunately the original Kickstarter exclusive miniature, awarded to all backers, was a set of three leaping rabbits, so with the initial idea set it was away to the bits box to track down the requisite paraphernalia required to complete the scene. 
Now I need, at this point, to give credit to Snitchy of 'Snitchy the Dog' fame whose original idea for a casualty counter has heavily inspired this reincarnation.  His wonderful blog even let slip where I was to find that most precious of ordnance and with the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch ordered up from 'Zinge Industries' I threw all manner of ‘bits and bobs’ at a 'Warbases' MDF disc and et voilà!
This was, of course, a totally unnecessary addition, but hugely enjoyable fun to put together.  I still have designs for a shrubbery to contemplate, but these will have to wait for another time, in the interim I am trying to resist the temptation to order up a set of the new monks and perhaps a witch.

Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one:

"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

74 comments:

  1. Your bonus round entries never disappoint m'Lord - always fun and very well put together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving the rabbit, we can never have too many picture of your work. Is the plastic skeleton a very old games workshop figure fro the 1980's. I seem to recognise it. I had a box of those, they were great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the skeleton is one of the 2nd edition plastic skeletons that GW produced in the mid to late 90s (and still sell, I believe).

      From memory, the 1st edition skeletons were more finely proportioned, and the 2nd edition's rib cage / torso was made more robust to allow the new arm variations to work with it. But those are just my memories, so I could be wrong. I had a box of the very first GW skeletons though, and definitely recreated scenes from Jason and the Argonauts!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Martin, definitely Games Workshop, but not bought that long ago so I would imagine Roy is spot on.

      Delete
  3. Excellent! Absolutely stonkingly good (no, I don't know if that is a word either).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Roy and if it isn't a word, then it should be.

      Delete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbrIo1p-So
    There are some who call him.... Tim...
    One of my favourite Python scenes ever!!! Your stunning work makes this one of my favourite posts ever! :D
    PS: Stretching is very important, it improves flexibility - do keep stretching!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I love that scene too. :)

      Delete
  5. And what is the air speed of an unladen swallow? Excellent work sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Scotch git! I soiled my armour I was so scared!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Look at the booones!" Excellent stuff, Michael! The photos brought a much-needed smile to the faces of my wife and I on a dull rainy day. We're now singing "Camelot!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And very worthy of a second post it is! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha Ha' more good work Sir.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More cracking stuff......I think I could strap a bomb to that rabbit 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even better second time around Sir Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  12. More wonderful stuff Michael! Surely one of my all time favorite movies which I still manage to watch with delight every chance that arises. And of course the part with the rabbit! "I soiled my armour I was so scared!" The addition of the Holy Hand Grenade is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terry, they were a must have set and will definitely need to be adding to them in due course.

      Delete
  13. "And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large ch..." And I'm grinning too!

    Love that movie! And love what you've done with these figures, they're dynamite!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ev, it was so much fun to put together and I'm sure that I will be revising it again soon.

      Delete
  14. Huge pointy teeth in this post.

    Fantastic stuff that brought a very warm smile to my scruffy features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dai and glad that it has had the desired effect.

      Delete
  15. LOVE IT! This is perfection, you can take the rest of the year off. ;-)

    I don't think I can actually use this set but I want it just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monty and I thought exactly the same - glad that I bought them though.

      Delete
  16. Very nice modeling, Michael. BTW, the tree with one open eye and a squinty eye, whose mouth is wide open, planted on the left hand side of the last picture, is saying some thing to the crowd. But I can't make it out. What is he saying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jay as for the tree, I imagine it is saying, "beware the beast with sharp pointy teeth".

      Delete
  17. "One rabbit stew coming up!"

    No need to apologise - I needed to see more of this awesomeness :-)
    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tut. It's only a model...

    Inspiring as always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant work Michael! The entry was certainly worthy of another posting of pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very, very cool post!
    The rabbit on the scenic base is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wouter, it was great fun to put together.

      Delete
  21. Simply splendid! I'm really impressed by all the time and effort you put into that submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick, but it has been at the expense of everything else recently.

      Delete
  22. You never fail to disappoint, Michael. Another wonderful and inspired scene. But when will Gotham Zoo be finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More great work Michael, and I think Jez means "You never disappoint".

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    2. The perils of posting comments when i should be sleeping. Thanks for the correction, Roger.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Jez, (and Roger). Gotham Zoo really must be revisited perhaps I need to pick up a few more miniatures first. ;)

      Delete
  23. I wouldn't worry about stretching out the post. Think I have done more than a lot of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fred, hopefully something new soon.

      Delete
  24. Stretch away I say :) Simply fantastic work on the base by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely. Of course the rabbit needs to be in the centre of a scene of destruction!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so pleased you decided to 'complete' the previoud knight's post with the wonderful rendition of "Not Tim" and the fearful creature of Caerbannog - brough a very welcome wry smile to me

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simply wonderful work Michael, a ferocious rabbit indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...