Tuesday 3 April 2012

"Ayo Gorkhali!"

... the Gurkhas are here!

With 'Salute 2012' just around the corner and the need to clear some space before new acquisitions can be smuggled into 'Awdry Towers', I am hopeful that April will see the return of more historical miniatures to the painting table; I say hopeful, but I already know that there are a couple of dinosaur related posts in the offing! 





These fearsome warriors are by the wonderful 'Mutineer Miniatures' and I've painted them to represent the Sirmoor Battalion of Gurkhas.  I have long been aware of the reputation of the Gurkha as a formidable and ferocious soldier on the battlefield, but must confess that I knew little of the part they played in suppressing the rebellion of 1857.



The Sirmoor Battalion of Gurkhas, along with the 1st/60th Rifles and the Guides Infantry, fought off twenty six separate attacks on their position at Hindu Rao's House on the Delhi ridge.  They were constantly under fire for a period of three months and eight days, losing a total 327 of 490 men!  This action saw an inseparable bond formed between the men of the 1/60 Rifles and the Gurkhas, ultimately leading the Sirmoor Battalion becoming a rifle regiment after the mutiny.  



Returning to the miniatures themselves, the sculpts were of the usual high standard that I've come to expect from 'Mutineer Miniatures'; in fact the only complaint was that there was no pose with an unsheathed Kukri been brandished at the enemy!  I'm hoping that there will be more of these to come, but I've temporarily misplaced the command pack; probably lurking under a plastic dinosaur or the like!

26 comments:

  1. "Neat" little figures!

    Norwegian Cruise lines hires Gurkhas as on-board security. Even in modern security uniforms w/o weapons, they look tough! One yelled at me for not seeing the metal detector at the ship's gangway and strolling right though!
    I definitely would like Gurkhas on my side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear an angry Gurkha and nowhere to go but overboard; that could have gone horribly wrong! ;)

      Delete
  2. They look great, It is shame there isn't one brandishing a Kukri yet. perhaps its in pipe line. If not perhaps there is a figure that can be converted easily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely miniatures and very nice brushwork!

    Glad to hear that 'normality' will be returning to our screens soon :O)

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The highland penchant for giving some to the lowlanders was also played a hand in the Gurkhas siding with the British during the Mutiny! The Pashtuns and the Sikhs also stayed loyal and reaped the benefits of siding with the British and made their reputations as reliable martial races, too.

    Great painting again, Michael, These chaps look the business!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work! These are Mike Owen sculpts if memory serves? I always find his figures very pleasing to paint and quite forgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on with Mike Owen Mark; I have to agree with you about them been forgiving. I've only done a few but have thoroughly enjoyed working with them. I just wish that there were a few more firing poses.

      Delete
  6. Very nice painting on these chaps Michael!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are excellent, really lovely work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely painted as usual.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent painted figures!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look determined little chaps. Lovely painting and nice detail work (that checked headband is top notch).

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking figs! The Gurkhas definitely deserve their place in our military history

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done! painting checks around a curved surface.. yeah that's always fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. FIERSOME BUNCH, WELL PAINTED.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That should read fearsome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent work sir, and lovely figures I have some horseless cavalry from Mutineer knocking around somewhere (I really should buy the horses and paint them up)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious, how did you manage to have horseless cavalry?

      Delete
  16. Very nice. I have been toying with the idea of getting some of these. I'm just about to base up some Mutineer cavalry, artillery, the civilians and a few personalities - all of which have turned out rather nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll be disappointed, I just wish I could remember where I put the command group! Looking forward to seeing your artillery soon.

      Delete
  17. Lovely stuff - i will having some of those. I picked up a few samples of thier other figures at York , just because i liked em, so looking forward to doing them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly going to be getting a few more at Salute, really enjoyed working on them.

      Delete
  18. Impressive stuff. Love the faded green and it works perfectly with the checkered red.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always liked the Gurkhas. A little man with a big knife. Do. Not. Piss. Off.

    And they could hunt dinosaurs too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the Ghurkhas and these are to your normal very high standards. I bet them would even scare the dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice, love the hatband detail.
    I loved the gurkha in 'Man who would be King' with Connery and Caine...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...