Saturday 11 February 2012

Water Cart


Buoyed with the enthusiasm of finally completing Otto Witt's carriage, this post sees another, long overdue, project completed.  I came across this idea on the Arcane and Model Scenery's blog where they created a water cart using composite parts from the 'Trent Miniatures', French Revolutionary Wars range.  The pieces in question were French Gribeauval Limber (£5.00) and the Large Wine or Sherry Casks (£6.50 for three)   and by following the really straightforward 'how to' they were promising a rather lovely water cart that I thought would be just perfect for dishing out a refreshing cup of 'Adam's Ale'  to sun parched members of her Britannic Majesty's Imperial Infantry. 

Composite parts prior to assembly

It really did go together rather well, a little bit of liquid greenstuff (a truly amazing modelling development!) made sure that any cracks were hidden.  The bucket hook was created exactly as described in the 'how to'  but the tap was actually made from the tiny off-cuts of flash after cleaning up individual miniatures - I really have started to horde everything!  The cork on the top actually came from an old retractable pencil's innards. 


Painting was again relatively straightforward, having decided to go for a British Ordnance grey and a rather natural looking oak barrel.  That should have been it but decided to add a few little extras in the shape of some 'Ainsty Castings' crates and a couple of loose water canteens in a bid to make it a more prominent objective marker; I'm thinking,  'defend the water cart at all cost' type of scenario.


Just as an aside I notice that 'Warlord Games' have just released their water carrier from the 'Horns of the Buffalo' kit.   Sadly mine doesn't compare too favourably, as the sum of the parts came to £11.50, as opposed to the £8 charged by 'Warlord Games'.  That said I do have the added advantage of having an additional two large sherry casks with stands for a future project!



Thirsty work!

15 comments:

  1. Another great idea...one which I shall unashamedly steal...one for my Colonials and one for my Medievals. I suppose they might have had something like that way back then? Who cares..I´ll make one :-D
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may also have to steal this one for my lads at Salamanca. I'm sure water would've been a pretty hot commodity then.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again a great piece of art. Like Paul I'm thinking to use this wonderfull idea in 1/72 scale.

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm might borow that great idea someday, super!

    Greetings Remco
    sjemco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice mate. Lovelly little vignette in the bottom pic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another who will copy this idea for my peninsular collection.Great piece Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great addition for nice atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great modelling Michael. Very impressed with this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent modelling skills, Sir!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are producing some quality little pieces that make all the difference to the look of a set up/game. I will be yet another, copying your ideas, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it especially with Hookie drinking next to it, its like a giant barrel of gin or something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heartfelt thanks to one and all; receiving positive feedback really helps to keep one on track. With regards to 'copying the idea', I wish I could claim credit for the creation, but that said I look forward to seeing a water cart or two appearing around the blogosphere in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael, that's outstanding. Exactly my kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Michael - very nice!
    It could also be filled with gunpowder to be an improvised explosive - I can see a scenario where it is being pushed into position to blow the gates before storming in

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...